Mrs. Dietrick Dead. Kentucky Post, November 26th, 1895, page 8.
The first Board of Lady Managers consisted of prominent Covington women, including Charity Warner (1830-1895), Susan “Sue” Crawford (1828-1894), Augusta W. Ford (1840-1907), and Dietrick. Charity Warner would be elected as the first president of the Board and serve until her death in 1895. The original charter required men to assist with financial and legal issues, so Jonathan Hearne, Frank Ford, and Joseph Chambers were appointed. Hearne, a prominent businessman and philanthropist, quickly became a champion and benefactor. When Hearne died in 1905 he bequeathed $10,000 (roughly $266,000 today) as an endowment to the Home.
The first location was a house on the northwest corner of 10th and Russell and the first residents, three “inmates” (as described in the early newspaper accounts) and a matron, moved in on January 6, 1887. The November 23, 1893, Kentucky Post
reported 18 women living there and stated “the Home for Aged Women, at the corner of Tenth and Russell Streets, today, presents inside and outside, an air of bustle and animation going on which proclaims that something unusual is going on.”